We love selling plants, but sometimes plants can bring in things from the wild that we don't want in our communities. We received moss balls with a potentially hazardous parasite in the month of February and were notified by the vendor about the incident.
A Warning was issued by wildlife agencies across the US warning that moss balls may be contaminated with a potentially hazardous parasite, Zebra Mussels. This invasive species is a significant threat to our local ecosystem and must be disposed of immediately. For safe disposal instruction and information please follow the instructions linked here.
The product name(s): Marimo Ball Small/ Large ‘Moss Ball’ from The Heavy
Dates of purchase: 2/25/2021-3/10/2021
Here is what we are doing to keep our team, customers, products, and ecosystem safe:
- Properly destroyed of all potentially contaminated products.
- Worked with the vendor to make sure no other products were effected.
- Created an internal process to handle incidents like this in the future (though we do not anticipate this being an issue moving forward)
- Empowering potentially effected customers to handle properly disposing of the product.
- Offering in-store credit to any customer who made a purchase of the moss balls (must present receipt)
If you made a purchase that you think is effected:
- Destroy the moss ball, DO NOT throw it away in the trash or bring it back to the store.
- Bring your receipt showing proof of purchase to receive store credit.
- Contact us if you have further questions.
As always, thanks for being a supporter of the Citizen Supply community.